2016 Year In Review
We all know 2016 was not the best year on record. Between Trump, Bowie, and Brexit, it hasn’t left me inspired. However, I still want to celebrate my personal accomplishments over the last 12 months and look ahead to 2017.
2016 in a Nutshell
- Bought a new house!
- Saw two of my amazing friends marry in Colorado Springs.
- Visited over 14 different cities and two different countries.
- Went back to New York and hung out with some amazing old friends.
- Spent three weeks in Europe for a work exchange program.
- Took over 10,000 photos.
- Had 6 photo shoots.
- Almost done paying off my student debt!
- I became an aunt and have a nephew on the way!
- Took a Gehrken family vacation for the first time in years.
- Became a docent at Fontenelle Forest’s Raptor Refuge.
- Championed a $25K grant for FF Raptor Refuge through Yahoo.
- Joined the planning board for both Meet the Pros and the YP Summit.
- Hosted my first family Christmas.
- Visited a Cat Cafe in NYC.
- Threw a killer halloween party.
- Climbed a mountain in Howth Ireland.
- Went back to London (eight years later).
- Took control of my diet so I don’t feel sick all the time.
- Drank gin and tonic out of a can.
- Attended three professional conferences.
- Celebrated my 13th year with Ryan (and first wedding anniversary).
- Started a business plan for my side-hustle – Felius.
2017 ‘Level 10 Life’ Goals
In 2016, I read ‘The Miracle Morning’ by Hal Elrod. In his book, Hal outlines small changes that can have a large impact on your life, including ways to assess and track your happiness in 10 key areas (called ‘Level 10 Life’).
“If we’re measuring our levels of success/satisfaction in any area of our lives, we all want to be living our best lives at a ‘Level 10’ in each area. Creating your ‘Level 10 Life’ begins with creating an honest assessment of where you are.”
I decided to do this for 2017. Below are my ‘Level 10 Life’ goals. Excited to have an awesome plan in place for 2017!
1. FAMILY & FRIENDS
- Keep in touch! (Email, Phone, Text, Facebook)
- Make plans with friends at least twice a month
- Spend more time with Adelaide
- Be as supportive as I can to my friends in need
- Rekindle relationships with old friends/co-workers
- Call my mom & dad once a week
- Visit my mom at least twice
2. PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Be more conscious of how others perceive me
- Read at least one new book every month
- Listen to podcasts while I’m driving
- Keep up with my Miracle Morning practice
- Set personal goals at the beginning of every month & review them daily
- Stop procrastinating
- Commit to each project and finish it before starting a new one
- Start and maintain a daily meditation practice
- Maintain my daily bullet journal
- Assess my state of mind nightly and re-align with my goals
- Save 6 months of living expenses in an emergency fund
- Create a budget and stick to it
- Review all online subscriptions and opt out of non-necessary ones
- Pay off my credit card debt
- Pay off my student debt
- Limit online spending to $100 per month
- Pay off house in 8 years
- Have $100,000 in savings in 10 years
5. CAREER & BUSINESS
- Spend an hour every day on Felius
- Complete Felius business plan
- Find my dream role at Yahoo and go after it
- Sell 10 prints on my Etsy store
- Do something fun together once per week (re-instate our adventure calendar)
- Vacation just the 2 of us once per year
- Dream trip to Australia
- Say ‘I love you’ every day
- ‘Unplug’ together 1 hour every day (no phones, TV, or laptops)
- Cook together once per week
- Plan and celebrate our two year wedding anniversary – long weekend somewhere
7. FUN & RECREATION
- Learn calligraphy & hand-lettering
- Learn how to better identify birds
- Keep expanding my photography skills
- Take a photo every day
8. GIVING & CONTRIBUTION
- Volunteer twice a month at the Raptor Refuge
- Volunteer three times at the food bank
- Buy Christmas presents for a family in need
- Help a friend in need, no questions asked
- Finish Meet the Pros planning
- Finish YP Summit Planning
9. PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT
- Finish decorating our home, room-by-room
- Create mudroom closet
- Re-decorate my home office
- Plant an herb garden
- Develop and stick to a cleaning schedule
- Landscape and take care of our outdoor plants
- Maintain bird feeders
- Re-vamp my wardrobe (capsule wardrobe?)
10. HEALTH & FITNESS
- Do yoga 3x per week
- Rejoin a gym and do cardio 3x per week
- Cut back on alcohol
- Reinstitute my fitness tracker
- Keep a food journal
- Cut out more acidic foods